The work that we do creates positive disturbances or positive movement in our students’ lives and in our communities. We seek change in our society; the status quo is not acceptable. We seek to be agents of beneficial change for our children and the communities we serve. Most importantly, we strive to instill in our children the awareness that they are gifted and have a responsibility to share their gifts and thereby make a difference in their lives and the lives of others.
Providing the Educational Opportunities that Change Lives
Welcome to Making Waves Academy Middle School!
Making Waves Academy (MWA) is a four-year public charter school founded in 2007 for Richmond students in fifth through eighth grades. The Academy has been accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
The school’s vision is grounded in our core values and our commitment to inspiring students to reach for excellence and preparing them for high school, the college of their choice, and ultimately, opportunities that change lives.
Making Waves Academy is unique and particularly effective because it offers:
- A model 21st Century campus that has a library and technology center at its core, a multipurpose room, science labs, art and music rooms, an edible garden, and a synthetic turf field. The school’s classrooms are equipped with the most up-to-date educational materials and technology, and students have laptop computers at their disposal.
- Small class sizes (approximately 25 students per class).
- Comprehensive services for students and families that include nutrition, transportation, and psychological services.
- An administrative team with more than 60 years of combined experience in K-12 and postsecondary education. It recognizes the critical importance of understanding our student profile and best identifying the service model that will adequately and appropriately meet student needs.
- An engaging, standards-aligned curriculum.
- Ongoing and intensive learning opportunities for teachers. The school ensures that faculty and staff members engage in high-quality, ongoing professional development. Educators at Making Waves Academy work collaboratively to address individual student needs and examine learning issues, using data about student performance to continually inform instruction.
Highest score for a middle school in West Contra Costa School District (22,000 students).